Westport PAL and SportsCAPP.com are hosting a free event with football specific concussion information presented by local concussion experts plus exhibits showcasing new technology to help identify possible head injuries on the field.
- Concussion info specific to football practice and play
- Specific training techniques for coaches to reduce and prevent concussions
- Local medical concussion specialists will answer questions from parents and coaches
- An athletic trainer will also be available to answer questions on how AT scan help manage the sidelines for concussions and other sports injuries.
- Opportunity for hands-on exploration of new technologies to address possible concussions right on the sidelines of practice or a game
7 pm Concussion education for coaches & how to best to manage players from the sidelines when an injury occurs by Katherine Snedaker, MSW, of www.SportsCAPP.com
7:45 pm Q & A with cookie refreshments with Dr. Mike Lee of Concussion Specialists of CT and Kristina Eilbacher, LATC, CSCS, the Westport PAL’s football Athletic Trainer from Performance Physical Therapy
8 pm Football Session: Carmen Roda, Westport PAL, will present his new research outlining the dramatic reduction of concussions with specific steps, drills, and techniques
Cheer Session: Katherine will present new research on girls’ concussions and hold a brainstorm session to develop safer training for girls’ cheer
Sponsors and Exhibiters
- The Concussion Specialists of Connecticut , located in Southport, CT
- Performance Physical Therapy , provider of athletic trainers for the Westport PAL’s football
New Technology to aid with concussion recognition
- PAR’s Concussion Recognition and Response Phone App that a coach or parent can use if an athlete suffers a blow, bump or other injury during a game or practice. The app guides the coach through a series of questions and makes a recommendation about whether to remove the athlete from play and get medical attention. The app is available for Apple and Android mobile devices and costs $3.99.
- The Battle Sports Science’s IMPACT INDICATOR, embedded in chin strap which attaches to any helmet, measures the force and duration of a hit to a player’s helmet. Instantly, players and coaches can know when or if a possible head injury is detected. Once alerted, a coach can get the player to the sideline for evaluation maximizing treatment, recovery and preventing further injury.
Refreshments provided by Galaxy Cookies from Darien
We want to thank all these sponsors and SoNo Field House for their continued support of Concussion Awareness in youth sports.