Katherine “Price” Snedaker is striving to be an agent of change in concussion education for youth sports thru public speaking, consulting, and social media outreach.
- Mother of son with history of multiple concussions
- Personal history of concussions
- Concussion social worker in top concussion clinic
- Founder of organization to create change in attitudes, training and response to youth sport concussions in practices and games
- Founder of support groups to provide innovative ways for teens with concussions to connect with other “healed” teens
Katherine is the founder of Sports CAPP.com which is designed to help recreational teams, town leagues and private schools build concussion awareness into their programs for players, coaches and parents. She designed this website around her concern with middle school aged athletes who are not covered by CT Concussion Law since they play in private or town leagues rather than in public middle schools where they would be protect by the law. She has been work with CT and NY lacrosse leagues for several years and hopes to bring concussion awareness to teams from other sports across the state. Katherine is also the founder of Team Concussion, a social media/web based support group for teenagers with concussions.
Katherine is also the founder of PinkConcussions.com which exists as an informational website in female concussions, a Facebook page and a very active Twitter account with close to 1,000 concussion organizations and followers interested in female concussions.
The mission of Pink Concussions.com is to highlight what is known about female concussions, list resources, and share women’s personal experiences with head injury. The goal is to encourage more research on the vulnerability, the causes of injury and the delay in recovery time for females of all ages. And beyond sports concussions, we are exploring what else is known about Female TBI in the civilian research done on domestic violence or accidents, and by our military on female veterans.
Katherine has her Master’s Degree in Social Work and has worked as a school social worker, PTSD social work intern and an adoption social worker. In addition to being a lifelong athlete, she has over ten years experience coaching boys lacrosse and co-ed soccer with children aged 5 to 15. She has vast experience with concussions as an athlete, a professional, a coach, CONNy league advisor and a parent of three active sons.
To help with research, Katherine has agreed to donate her brain to the study of CTE after she dies and encourages all adult athletes with concussion histories to consider this option. Please contact her if you would like more information.
Katherine Price Snedaker, MSW
- Consultant for Concussion Awareness and Policy for town and rec leagues, and private schools
- Social worker and outreach consultant for The Concussion Specialists of Connecticut
- Concussion Advisor 2011-2012, CONNY Science & Safety Committee
- Founder of Team Concussion: Teen to Teen Support via social media
- Founder and Web Designer at Priceless Sites, Social Media linked Websites
- Director of Counseling and Community Education at The Concussion Center of Fairfield County
- Founder at Kids and Concussions – Website and Facebook Page for Concussion Information
- Social Worker, Adoption, Home Studies and Search at Family and Children’s Agency, Norwalk CT
- Social Worker, Child Therapist, Family and Children’s Agency, Norwalk CT
- Social Worker PTSD Intern at Veterans Administration
- Licensed Master Social Worker in New York and Connecticut – current 2012
- Advanced Concussion Training from The Sports Legacy Institute – current 2012
- Certified Coach in MODULE 15: Concussion Management – current 2012
- US Lacrosse Coaching Education Program Level 1 Boys Lacrosse Coach – current 2012
- Community First Responder Training Certification, Norwalk Community College
- CPR and First Aid Certified – current 2012
- Former Re-adjustment Therapist for Combat Veterans, Manhattan Veteran’s Administration’s Vet Center
- Former Certified School Social Worker in Connecticut
- Served as the Counseling Director, The Concussion Center of Fairfield County.
- Provides Community Education for local private schools and town sports leagues, The Concussion Center of Fairfield County.
- Serves as the Concussion Reference Advisor for Norwalk Junior Lacrosse, 2008-present.
- Serves as Concussion Advisor to CONNY Connecticut-New York Youth Lacrosse Association (CONNY), 2009-present.
- Counsels concussion-distressed families via her volunteer organization, www.kidsandconcussions.com
PRESS – June 2012 releases
Sports CAPP Radio Shows/Pod Casts –
- June 15 http://ftns.co/listen/#play=concussions-in-youth-sports-being-proactive-through-evidence-based-research-information-that-you-must-know
- June 29 http://ftns.co/listen/#play=chris-coyne-his-story-on-concussions-and-how-he-is-helping-the-next-generation-of-athletes-through-education-and-awareness
SOME PRESENTATIONS ON CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT
- Bridgeport Chargers Football, Kennedy Stadium, August 2012
- Stamford Youth Football, Speaker at Annual Coaches Dinner, August 2012
- Wakeman Boys & Girls Club, 75 campers, August 2012
- McMahon & Norwalk High Schools, Norwalk, CT, Career Day, Concussion Awareness, April 2012
- Trumbull Public Schools, Concussion Seminar for Nurses and Gym Teachers, April 2012
- New Canaan County School, CT Concussion Awareness For Staff and Coaches, Jan 2012
- SoNo Field House Concussion Awareness Day, January 2012
- Connecticut-New York Youth Lacrosse Association (CONNY), Team Concussion Guidelines 2011
- Norwalk Youth Lacrosse Parent Meetings, 2008 – present
- CONNY, various board meetings, 2009 – present
- Bridgeport Youth Lacrosse Annual Team Breakfast for Players and Parents, Inc., Key Note Speaker – 2009, 2011 and 2012